Home » +Fellowship
Category Archives: +Fellowship
Here’s a brief summary not so much of the substance of the disagreements between these two great religious scholars, but how those disagreements were depicted in the Mishnah. The point of the video is to find some wisdom about how people can disagree today without becoming disagreeable.
Posted for your reading pleasure at Jim West’s blog. It’s super duper.
Christ is born! Glorify him!
Here’s a little Greek exercise I did a couple years ago:
Μάμμη ἐπατήθην ὑπ᾽ ἐλάφου.
περὶ προτὰς χείμονος ἔβαινεν.
περὶ Ἁγίου Νικολάου ένδιαζεις;
πάππος γε κἀγὼ πιστεύομεν.
If it isn’t grammatically perfect, well, that may not be straying too far from the source material.
Peter Enns took part in a panel discussion on the topic of “Reading the Bible in the 21st Century” at the Society of Biblical Literature meeting last week in San Diego. His ten-minute opening remarks are well worth your time. Here is his conclusion:
If I can put this in Christian terms, scripture bears witness to the acts of God and most supremely to the act of God in Christ. But scripture bears witness in culturally and contextually meaningful ways. This is where historical criticism comes into the picture—not as an enemy to be guarded against or plundered, and not as an awkward relative you don’t know what to do with, but as a companion, a means of understanding and embracing the complex actualizing dynamic of the Bible as a whole.
This is what I am aiming for in The Bible Tells Me So, albeit at a popular level, because that is where this discussion needs to be—with those who feel they have to chose between accepting academic insights or maintaining faith. I don’t believe that is a choice that has to be made, and miss out on a lot when we feel we need to.
I’m thankful for
- Twenty years of marriage to the smartest, kindest, most wonderful woman in the world
- A healthy, happy, and mostly well-adjusted teenager
- The privilege of taking care of parents who have always taken care of me
- Able and dedicated coworkers
- A small but enthusiastic Taylor Smart fan club
- Homeowner’s insurance
- The end of political campaign ads for another two years
- The Academy for Classical Education
- Google Books
- The Bibb County Public Library
- Zydeco music
- Pepakura and the geniuses who design and build it
- The Christmas light show at Callaway Gardens
- The University of Kentucky men’s basketball team
- Indoor plumbing
What are you thankful for?