Dr. Platypus

Home » +Apostles' Teaching » Verses I’d Rather See on a Communion Table

Verses I’d Rather See on a Communion Table

Protestants love to inscribe “Do This in Remembrance of Me” (1 Co 11:24) on our Communion tables. It’s nice. It’s biblical. But is that really the best biblical template for understanding and celebrating the feast that Jesus gave us? How might our observance of the Lord’s Supper be challenged?¢‚Ǩ‚Äùor transformed?¢‚Ǩ‚Äùif we had one of the following Bible verses on the Communion table instead?

1. This man welcomes sinners and eats with them. (Lk 15:2)
  2. I am the bread of life. (Jn 6:35)
  3. And he shall feed them and be their shepherd. (Ezek 34:23)
  4. The afflicted shall eat and be satisfied. (Ps 22:6)
  5. Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb. (Rev 19:9)
  6. O taste and see that the LORD is good. (Ps 34:8)
  7. Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. (Mt 11:28)
  8. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. (Lk 14:13)
  9. He will feed his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms. (Isa 40:11a)
  10. Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts. (Isa 6:3)

PS: Thanks to Weekend Fisher for reminding me of this post from my old blog and requesting it be preserved!

technorati tags: altar, church furniture, communion, eucharist

7 Comments

1. PS says:

Do this in rememberance of me seems somehow shallow compared to all the other verses and meanings of communion. But it does seem to be the verse emphasized by Protestants. I’m not sure what verse Lutherans often have on the communion table, but, not being technically Protestant, they might emphasize the forgiveness of sins as recorded Matt 26: 28.

Interestingly, I had trouble finding this verse, as the concordance and the subject index of my NIV Bible point toward the Rememberance verses when mentioning the Lord’s Supper. And my old cathetism didn’t give a Bible reference in the Commuion section. For a minute, I thought that I’d been misled in my confirmation classes about the forgiveness of sins through communion.

2. Ruud Vermeij says:

Very good post!
    I am also thinking of another verse that is quoted often:
    “But let a man examine himself” (1 Cor. 11:28)
    This is probably also misapplied a lot. We do not need to be blameless to participate. Communion is meant for sinners!

3. D. P. says:

Hi Ruud. I’ve never seen that particular verse actually displayed on a Communion table, but I agree it is often quoted at Protestant Communion services?¢‚Ǩ‚Äùand, as you say, misapplied.

4. S Meier says:

Just found your blog –
    “Do this in remembrance of me.” — although not on our communion table – is a part of Lutheran liturgy of Holy Communion. But like to paraphrase this to– “Remember all that I have done for you”
    That seems to say what I feel that Jesus is saying in Luke 22: 19 ff.

Your 1st and 2nd suggestions from Luke 15: 2 and John 6: 35 are very good — if not carved in wood – on a table
    they could be printed on the worship bulletin or projected on screen for all to see and read.

5. D. P. says:

Welcome aboard, S Meier! Those two are probably my favorites as well, although there are times when #4 really speaks to me.

6. This is one of my favorite of your blog posts. Of course, my congregation doesn’t HAVE a communion table. We use common cup and loaf and we all stand in a circle while we pass cup and loaf. As an inner-city church, # 8 is closest in spirit to our practice, but I like all of these.

7. Ruud Vermeij says:

Darrell,

I missed the “inscibe” in your post. I thought you were talking about verses quoted at communion. I’ve never seen a community table with something inscribed, it think. Not in my tradition.

I think your verses are also very usefull for scripture reading during communion.

Comments are closed.