Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent for those of us who follow the western/Gregorian calendar. Here is a sampling of good introductory reading on Lent and Ash Wednesday that I found in my feed reader this morning:
- What Is Ash Wednesday? (Mark D. Roberts)
- Beginning Great Lent (Vindicated)
- For Ash Wednesday: The Prayer of Manasseh (Internet Monk)
- Ashes, Ashes (The Way of the Fathers; link to some good Ash Wednesday readings)
- Wilderness (The Owl’s Song; not strictly Lenten but a brief meditation on Jesus’ temptation in the wilderness)
Lent is a season of renewed discipleship. It’s a time to get serious about the things that are holding us back spiritually and explore ways not only to get us back on track but even to advance in holiness. My Lenten plan this year will include some work on memorizing more of the Psalter as well as devotional reading from the Desert Fathers, as well as the usual stuff about listening more attentively to people when they’re talking and taking better care of my body. I don’t know what your goals are for Lent, but I would challenge you to make some!